Forget apples. A lemon a day keeps the doctor away! Find out for yourself what the delicious benefits of a lemon-infused pick-me-up can be with this tasty recipe for Coffee Romano!
Believe it or not, citrus and coffee were actually meant to be! This surprising pairing is sure to delight your senses with its bright yet smooth flavor and amazing caffeine kick!
This simple yet flavorful way to serve espresso is great for digestion and healthy immune function.
If you want an easy way to get some healthy benefits into your routine, try this delicious recipe for Coffee Romano!
Ingredients you need
- Brown Sugar Cubes: Sugar cubes are a great way to introduce sweetness to your cup. They melt evenly so it’s easy to get a little in every sip; plus, brown sugar cubes have the added benefit of natural molasses flavor. This makes the coffee smooth yet bold! If you do not have sugar cubes, try granulated raw sugar instead.
- Espresso: Fresh shots of espresso are the main attraction of this simple drink. I love brewing fresh espresso at home. It saves money versus the cafe and it’s such a fun process! You can make fresh espresso at home easier and less expensive than you might think! Try investing in an Aeropress or Moka Pot for easy stovetop espresso. These tools are affordable and they can turn any home kitchen into a cafe!
- Lemon Juice: Coffee has a natural bitterness that screams out for other balancing flavors. That is why a hint of citrus totally transforms your cup! Grab two fresh lemons and use one for juicing and one for slicing into gorgeous garnishes. Just remember that zesting a lemon allows it to release more juice.
- Lemon Slices: A lemon slice is the perfect garnish for this lovely drink!
Coffee Romano Step-by-step
How To Make Coffee Romano From Scratch
- Step One: Place the brown sugar cubes in the serving glasses.
- Step Two: Brew the espresso (using your favorite method) and pour it into the serving glasses.
- Step Three: Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the espresso.
- Step Four: Slice a lemon into finger-thick slices and add them to the coffee. Enjoy!
- Great coffee starts with great equipment. That does not mean you need expensive things to make good coffee, but with proper maintenance, everyone’s homebrew can taste barista-made! That is why it’s essential to start with clean equipment and always preheat it by rinsing the coffee filter and pot with boiling water.
- Continue that commitment to quality by using filtered water. This will help you keep your equipment longer; plus, your coffee will taste so much better with filtered water!
- Water is not the only thing that affects flavor! Temperature is everything! Don’t sip your coffee too soon or you’ll burn your taste buds and not get the true flavor. I like to brew the espresso and let it sit for a few minutes before relaxing with my favorite drink!
- Measuring Spoons
- Espresso Machine: Try a portable or stovetop espresso maker, like a Moka Pot or Aeropress for economical espresso at home!
- Water Filter (Recommended): One of the best investments home baristas can make is in their water supply. A simple filtering pitcher or sink attachment saves your equipment from harmful buildup and your coffee flavor from having a calcified taste.
- Coffee Grinder (Optional): The secret to great-tasting coffee is freshness, so buying whole-bean coffee and grinding it for each cup is the ideal way to serve vibrance in every shot!
- Lemon Squeezer: A handheld squeezer makes juicing a dream, but if you don’t have one just squeeze the lemon by hand over a strainer to avoid getting any seeds.
- Serving Glasses: Presentation is everything! A nice set of espresso mugs makes coffee time even more delightful. Choose a colorful set of mugs and saucers to suit your kitchen and bring smiles with every sip!
Frequently Asked Questions About Coffee Romano
Anecdotally, yes. Fans of this delicious drink say that the combination of lemon and caffeine kicks their metabolism into high gear; however, these accounts are just personal stories and have not yet been tested by science. That said, caffeine is a diuretic and energy enhancer, so pairing that with healthy lemon might hold you over between meals and increase your energy to get after it!
Yes, you can use bottled juice, but without fresh lemons, you miss out on the beautiful sliced lemon garnish.
First thing in the morning. The caffeine and the vitamin C from the lemon will start your day off on the right foot! Although, if you’re a night owl or an afternoon espresso-drinker, this caffeinated concoction is delectable anytime!
More Recipes and Tips You Might Enjoy:
- Caramel Coffee Recipe
- Pumpkin Spiced Coffee
- Can I put Hot Coffee in Glass?
- Brown Sugar in Coffee
- Can You Make Cold Brew in a French Press?
- Are Coffee Beans Cheaper Than Ground Coffee?
- What to put in a Coffee Gift Basket?
- Gifts for Cold Brew Lovers
- Cozy Cinnamon Dolce Latte
- Christmassy Eggnog Latte
- Oat Milk Coffee Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Honey Lavender Oat Milk Latte
- Coffee Con Leche
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @coffeewithnora and hashtag #coffeewithnora_recipes, so I don’t miss it.
- 4 brown sugar cubes 2 per glass
- 2 Espresso Shots 1 per glass
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice 1 per glass
- 2 Lemon Slices 1 per glass
- Divide 4 brown sugar cubes into two serving glasses.4 brown sugar cubes
- Brew 2 Espresso Shots and divide them between the two glasses.2 Espresso Shots
- Squeeze a lemon and divide 2 tbsp Lemon juice into each glass.2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Cut 2 Lemon Slices off a second lemon, add one finger-thick slice to each coffee, and enjoy your drink.2 Lemon Slices
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food and beverages unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove