There’s a chill in the air and festive spirits everywhere, that can only mean one thing, it’s eggnog season! Celebrate this delicious time of year by whipping up this easy Eggnog Latte at home!
The chill of winter can be rough but it does bring with it some special once-a-year treats, like eggnog lattes! I love to whip up this wintertime treat at home with this creamy and delicious recipe. You will love this recipe as I do, because:
- Festive Flavor – The mildly spiced creamy flavors of this drink will excite your palate and put you in a warm and festive mood!
- Cozy at Home – This eggnog latte is great for snowy nights-in and it tastes even better than from the cafe!
- Get it While it Lasts – There is something so enticing about ‘limited time’ items. Enjoy the short eggnog season to the fullest with this tasty latte!
- Christmassy Caffeine – Spiking the eggnog with brandy is great for after hours, but this amazing eggnog has just enough caffeine to get you through long winter afternoons!
Ingredients you need
Whole Milk – Creamy full-fat whole is the perfect choice when making warm lattes. It warms up quickly and easily foams into a smooth top for your yummy drink. If you love the smooth flavor of whole milk but cannot handle the lactose, use lactose-free milk. You can also use non-dairy milk, but be aware that traditional eggnog has dairy.
Eggnog – Eggnog is an end-of-year treat that is worth the wait! This beverage is smoother than silk because it is made with milk, cream, and eggs. This combination gives it a luscious thick texture, plus added sugar and warm spices make it impossible to resist!
Low-fat eggnog is available in most stores as a lighter alternative, and there is at least one major brand of lactose-free eggnog available in major grocery stores nationwide. Dairy-free eggnog is difficult to find in stores, but recipes for this plant-based alternative exist and can be used to replace the traditional nog in this recipe.
Espresso – Espresso is a very concentrated form of coffee, and when paired with the rich flavor of eggnog, all the ingredients are in a flavorful balance!
Not every home bar is equipped to make espresso, and that’s okay! If you don’t have an espresso maker, brew extra strong coffee!
For this recipe, you can use your preferred blend of coffee beans, but remember to grind the beans for the right brewing method. Espresso makers require very finely ground beans, whereas a drip brewer will use a more coarse grind.
Whipped Cream – Whipped cream is the perfect way to add some airy elegance to your cup! You can opt to use non-dairy whipped cream or whipped non-dairy dessert if you’re cutting down on dairy.
Nutmeg – The tastiest way to highlight the nutmeg flavor in this creamy drink is with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top! You can also add or substitute this delicious spice with ground cinnamon or a cinnamon stir stick.
Eggnog Latte Step-by-step
How To Make Eggnog Latte From Scratch
Step One: Gently heat the milk and eggnog over low heat. Do not boil!
Step Two: Brew the espresso.
Step Three: Pour the coffee into the serving glass, and then top it off with the warm eggnog milk mixture.
Step Four: Garnish your drink with whipped cream and nutmeg before enjoying this festive beverage!
- Be careful not to boil the eggnog mixture. The eggs in eggnog can actually scramble if you overheat it.
- If you want a little foam, pour all but about an inch of the warm eggnog mixture into the mug and then use a handheld frother to whip the remaining warm milk into a nice, airy topper.
Saucepan and Whisk – To get the milk and eggnog mixture up to the right temperature you will need a saucepan and whisk. Unless you have a countertop espresso machine. If you do have this amazing home bar tool, skip warming the milk on the stove and steam it instead but be aware that eggnog screeches when steamed!
Serving Glass – Enjoying this holiday latte is a winter right of passage, so why not sip in style!? Bust out your holiday mugs and make this drink look nice. But don’t worry if you’re on the run and want to take this with you, a travel tumbler works perfectly well, too!
Espresso Maker – Beautiful espresso does not have to be reserved for the cafe. You can make beautiful espresso at home more easily and affordably than you might think and then any latte is in your wheelhouse. Brewing affordable espresso at home will take a small initial investment in brewing tools, but fortunately, you do not need a high-end espresso machine to make high-end-tasting coffee!
Budding baristas can make amazing coffee at home with the help of an affordable yet reliable brewer like an Aeropress. This portable brewing method can make cafe-quality espresso anywhere; plus, if you visit a cafe every day, this affordable alternative is sure to save you tons of money in the long run!
Frequently Asked Questions about Eggnog Latte
Yes, you can make this latte decaf! Use decaf espresso beans or extra strong decaf coffee instead of regular. That way, you can drink this luscious latte at any time of day without getting caffeine jitters!
Like other types of coffee, when enjoyed in moderation, espresso can be great for you. It can help sharpen your focus and even assist your body in processing sugars. In general, you do not want to exceed 400mg of caffeine per day, that is about three double shot espresso drinks, but everyone’s body and caffeine tolerance is different.
With a few tweaks, yes, this latte can be low-fat! Trade the whole milk for skim and the traditional eggnog for low-fat to make a leaner version of this winter treat!
More Recipes and Tips You Might Enjoy:
- Christmas Coffee Creamer
- Eggnog Coffee
- Iced Eggnog Latte
- Iced Honey Latte
- What to put in a Coffee Gift Basket?
- Gifts for Coldbrew Lovers
- Pumpkin Cream Coldbrew
- Iced Lavender Latte
- Using Brown Sugar in Coffee
- How to Froth Milk Without a Frother?
- How much Syrup to put into Coffee?
- Caramel Coffee
- Coffee con Leche
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @coffeewithnora and hashtag #coffeewithnora_recipes, so I don’t miss it.
- Measuring cups
- Serving glass
- ⅔ cup Whole milk Can be substituted with plant-based milk or lactose-free milk.
- ⅓ cup Eggnog Choose your favorite brand.
- 1 Double Espresso Or strong coffee.
- Whipped cream For garnish.
- Nutmeg For sprinkling.
- Add ⅓ cup Eggnog and ⅔ cup Whole milk to a saucepan.⅔ cup Whole milk, ⅓ cup Eggnog
- Heat the mixture while stirring with a whisk. Do not boil!
- Brew 1 Double Espresso and pour the coffee into the serving glass.1 Double Espresso
- Top it off with the warm eggnog milk mixture.
- Garnish your drink with Whipped cream and dust with Nutmeg.Whipped cream, Nutmeg
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food and beverages unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove